This site contains affiliate links. We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. Read more about our Affiliate Links and Disclosure Statements in the Resources section.
Let’s face it, emotions run high during the Holidays! We’re running around trying to do and experience everything, huge to-to lists, high expectations, extreme ups and downs. At our house, it’s craziness for the entire season – Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years, with a few birthdays and traumaversaries thrown in. It’s a rough couple of months for us. I’m so thankful we have our doTERRA Essential Oils to help us deal with it all!
Emotional / Mood Oils
All of doTERRA’s Essential Oils can have an affect on a person’s emotional well being, but this article will focus on the oils most commonly used for those purposes, and the proprietary blends created specifically for emotional health.
- Lavender – Lavender is well known for calming, relaxation, and sleep. Read more here. (Note: some people have an opposite response to Lavender. Start slowly until you know if it will help you relax 🙂 )
- Citrus Oils – Wild Orange, Lemon, Tangerine, Lime, Grapefruit, Bergamot. All of these have uplifting properties and are often nicknamed the “happy oils”. Each one has its own set of benefits as well. Lemon is especially helpful for depressed feelings. Bergamot is both calming and uplifting.
- Cedarwood – Cedarwood is wonderful for calming, relaxation, reducing anxious feelings (and hyper kids), and helping with sleep.
- Clary Sage – Clary Sage has the primary benefit of balancing hormones. I have a house full of pre/teen girls, and I’ve seen Clary Sage work in minutes to calm the hysteria 🙂
- Copaiba – doTERRA’s new 4-strain Superstar Oil. The results people are sharing about this oil are nothing short of amazing. I use it in a diluted roller bottle on my children’s spines, to help calm them. Read more here.
- Frankincense – helps calm and regulate emotions. Massage on temples throughout the day to balance mood.
- Peppermint / Spearmint – lessens feelings of tension, uplifts mood and helps with focus. Also takes care of head and neck tension, as well as upset digestive systems.
- Melissa (Lemon balm) – postively affects mood, reduces tense feelings, promotes relaxation, calms feelings of nervousness.
- Petitgrain – nicknamed “the manly lavender” because it provides similar benefits without a ‘flowery’ smell. Calming, relaxing, eases feelings of tension and stress.
- Hawaiian Sandalwood – promotes emotional well-being by dissipating tense feelings.
- Siberian Fir – can help balance your emotions and soothe anxious feelings
- Vetiver – known to provide a calming, grounding effect on emotions, and helps with sleep.
- Ylang Ylang – provides a calming effect and promotes a positive outlook
- Aromatouch – lessens tension, provides comforting and relaxing effects
- Balance – One of my favorites. Balance is doTERRA’s Grounding Blend. Read how it has helped us here.
- Citrus Bliss – energizing, refreshing, uplifting, reduces stressful feelings
- Clary Calm – the Women’s Blend, made with Clary Sage and other oils formulated to balance hormones and emotions.
- DDR Prime – Cellular Complex Blend, formulated to help repair and support health at the cellular/DNA level. I dilute it along with Frankincense, and roll it on my children’s spines. Is a favorite among parents of children with brain differences.
- Elevation – helps to elevate your mood, promote feelings of confidence, and increase your energy
- In Tune – helps to enhance and sustain a sense of focus; calming and soothing
- Past Tense – eases head and neck tension and pain; helps ground and balance emotions; eases stressful feelings and calms
- Serenity – Another favorite. Helps with sleep and calming stressful feelings. Read more here.
- Yoga Collection – This is new in 2017. Three new blends (Anchor, Align and Arise), created to help regulate emotions and enhance your Yoga experience. Read more here.
Emotional Aromatherapy Collection:
- Peace – promotes feelings of contentment, composure, and reassurance when anxious feelings overwhelm your emotions
- Console – promotes feelings of comfort, putting you on a hopeful path of emotional healing. Good for feelings of loss.
- Forgive – helps to counteract emotions of anger and guilt, while promoting the liberating feelings of contentment, relief, and patience
- Cheer – counteract negative emotions and provide a boost of happiness and positivity when you are feeling down
- Motivate – Replaces negative emotions like guilt and pessimism with feelings of confidence and courage
- Passion – helps to rekindle feelings of excitement, passion and joy
- Emotional Aromatherapy Collection – All six of these blends can be purchased together, in the Emotional Aromatherapy System (5mL bottles) or as Touch Rollers in the Emotional Aromatherapy Touch Kit.
How to Use Essential Oils
There are three ways to use essential oils. Topically (on the skin), Aromatically (diffused into the air, or smelled from the bottle), and Internally (ingested through the mouth). In this article, we will focus on the first two.
- Your skin absorbs what you put on it, including essential oils. Sometimes in just a few seconds. The essential oils then enter the blood stream and are dispersed throughout the body, and into the brain.
- Many oils can be applied NEAT (no dilution; full strength from the bottle) without problem. But if you dilute with a carrier oil / lotion / etc, you will find better absorption rates, less evaporation and a better overall effect. Plus it saves you money.
- Roller Bottles, Spray bottles, and small containers are the most common ways to use oils topically. You can also use oils in homemade salves, lotion bars, soaps and the like.
- Print this Dilution Chart to help you decide how many drops of oil to use. Young children, older people and those with sensitive skin will need to dilute a little more.
- Frequency of use is up to you. Start with once or twice a day and work up to the frequency you feel gives you the most benefit. More frequent applications of less essential oil is better for your body to process, than a full strength application all at once.
- I’m partial to the sturdy, effective diffuser that doTERRA sells. But any diffuser will do, as long s you’re happy with its performance and it does NOT heat up the oils (heating oils reduces the therapeutic benefits).
- Most diffusers that cover a typical room take between 6 and 9 drops of oil, plus the amount of water recommended.
- Be sure to wipe out the inside of your diffuse between uses, or atleast regularly, to avoid buildup and keep your diffuser working properly.
Below are some recommendations of oil combinations for various emotions you may encounter this Holiday Season. Please remember to adjust the amounts of oils used, according to the Dilution Chart linked above. And remember, our body chemistries are all different. What works for one may not work for another. Keep trying combinations until you find what works for you!
If you have kids who get overexcited, overwhelmed or hyper during the Holidays, rest assured there are essential oils to help. When my kids were younger, just putting up Christmas decorations was enough to set them off – different things around the house, different smells, visual clutter. And don’t even think about community events with lots of people and noise – you wanna talk about visual clutter, just take the kids shopping in December!! Then there’s the anticipation of gifts, Santa, seeing grandparents and cousins. Travel. Long days and late dinners. Weather changes and being stuck inside. And sugar. (!)
Obviously, there are things you can alter if your kids are affected by chaos like mine were/are. You can decorate minimally, reduce your holiday schedule, cut out sugar and food dyes, space out family visits over the month, etc. And you should do all those things. But what about when you can’t? And you want to help your child relax and enjoy the special moment?
What if it’s YOU who’s overwhelmed? I hear ya, Mama. Been there more times than I can count. Here are some ideas that might help:
- Relax & Unwind: Lavender, Ylang Ylang, Bergamot
- Chill Out: Balance, Frankincense, Wild Orange
- Tantrum Tamer: Balance, Citrus Bliss
Stress / Anxious Feelings / Anger / Agitation
I don’t know about you, but the holidays are stressful for me. My kids, too. Sometimes just the anticipation of a good thing can bring on anxious feelings that almost ruin it. Many of doTERRA’s essential oils and blends have properties that lift mood, ease negative feelings and soothe anxious ones. Try these combinations:
- Anxious Feelings: Balance, Serenity
- Fresh Perspective: Bergamot, Wild Orange, Eucalyptus
- Stress Less: Lavender, Frankincense, Peppermint
Sadness / Loneliness / Grief / Sorrow
The Holidays are not happy for everyone, every year. If you’re dealing with extra sadness this year, or painful memories, or the loss of loved ones, you will need some extra support. The ideas below can help. And be sure to allow yourself to step out of the fray as much as you need to, and take good care of yourself. Eat well. Sleep well. Spend time with people and pets who make you feel better. <3
- Spirit Lifter: Bergamot, Wild Orange, Lemon
- No More Sadness: Bergamot, Frankincense, Elevation
- Soothing Duo: Frankincense, Copaiba
Need Energy / Focus / Motivation
There’s so much to do, so much to keep track of this month. Use these oils to help your brain filter out the chaos around you, and really concentrate on getting things done! Fantastic way to help the kiddos get their homework done in the midst of holiday craziness, too!
- Homework Helper: Peppermint, Wild Orange, Frankincense
- Memory Booster: Rosemary, Peppermint, Frankincense
- Get Up & Go: Motivation, Lime, Elevation
Relaxation / Sleep Support
If you’re not sleeping well, you won’t have energy, focus, patience OR a good mood! Use these oils/combinations to get that relaxed repair time you need, and wake up feeling rested!
- Sweet Sleep: Bergamot, Marjoram, Cedarwood
- Out Like a Light: Cedarwood, Lavender, Frankincense
- Counting Sheep: Lavender, Cedarwood, Serenity, Vetiver
OK, let’s be honest 🙂 If our hormones are all out of whack, so is our ability to enjoy life, right? So let’s do something about that.
- Hormonal Wreck: Clary Sage, Lavender, Marjoram, Elevation, Ylang Ylang
- Thyroid Support: Clove, Basil, Frankincense, Lemongrass, Myrrh
- Adrenal Support: 9 drops of Clove, 12 drops of lemon, 9 drops of Frankincense, and 21 drops of rosemary fill 10mL roller bottle with Fractionated Coconut Oil. Roll on your adrenals (above kidneys) twice a day.
Natural Supplements / Immune Support
Filling your body with healthy foods is very important to your moods, and how you handle the day’s stressors. If you’re sugar-crashing, you’re going to be irritable. If you’re dealing with digestive discomfort, you’re probably going to grouch at your kids. If you’re exhausted, you’re not likely to show up to the Christmas party with a smile. Try these ideas to boost your body’s immune system during this season and beyond:
- Immune Bomb: On Guard, Melaleuca, Oregano, Lemon
- Respiratory Support: Breathe, Lemon
- Gunky Lungs: Lime, Thyme, Frankincense
doTERRA #1 selling item isn’t actually an oil – it’s daily supplements. The LLV (LifeLong Vitality) supplement pack was designed to fill in any gaps in your overall nutrition. The feedback on these supplements is amazing. Honestly, it’s surprising how surprised we are, when we realize that a lot of our health issues can be solved by putting good healthy things into our bodies!
Watch this video for more information:
Determine Which Emotional/Mood Oils You Need
Chances are, you know what you’re feeling. But if you’re not sure which oils will help you the most right now, you have a couple of options to help you figure it out.
Printable PDF Guides from doterra.com:
- Modern Essentials is the main reference book I use. There’s an app by the same name, for iOS or Android. You can use it to search by condition, oil/blend, usage method, body systems, or essential recipes. Very handy!
- doTERRA Daily Drop app offers short educational videos on several topics. In the menu, there’s also an option to Determine Your Mood, and after you’ve gauged how you’re feeling in several categories, it will recommend oils, and even tell you how to use them.
Connect With me Online
I’m Crazy Quilt Mama everywhere online. I’d love to have you hang out with me and learn about essential oils!